If you are a professional, an amateur or a would-be writer, and would like to pursue your interest in writing in the company of like-minded people, please come and join us.
|Scout & Guide HQ|
|2nd Monday of the month|
|1.45 - 3.45 pm|
- Leader: Joan Potter - 0151 924 6027
- Coordinator: Sue Watkinson (contactable at Horizons meetings)
We are an informal group who enjoy writing in a variety of styles, from articles to stories and poems, with some friendly discussion and a few tips. Members’ suggestions are always welcome. Homework is optional!
For the first time this year, we are organising a Short Story Competition that can be entered by any Aughton & Ormskirk U3A member!
If you would like to submit a short story of no more than 1000 words, on any topic, you could win a £25 book token and see your work in print in the August edition of the magazine. This is a new venture for the Creative Writing group and we are hoping for lots of entries, so please start writing now.
Some members of the group have offered help with typing and emailing so, if you would like some assistance, please consult Sue Watkinson at Horizons or email CreativeWriting@aughton-ormskirk-u3a.co.uk and we’ll do our best to support you.
Read on for the full details …….
Short Story Competition Guidelines
- The competition is for a story of no more than 1000 words and no fewer than 300, on any topic.
- Stories should not have been published previously.
- There will be one prize of a £25 book token.
- Entry is restricted to members of Aughton & Ormskirk U3A.
- The competition will close at midnight on Saturday June 27th 2020.
- The result will be announced in August.
- Pages should be A4 size, typed in 14 point using a plain font with 1.5 spacing.
- Pages should be numbered.
- The number of words used, excluding the title, should be included at the end of the piece.
- Entries will be judged anonymously, so do not put your name on the text pages of your entry.
- The story should submitted to CreativeWriting@aughton-ormskirk-u3a.co.uk as an attachment to an email listing the title of your story, the number of words, your name, phone number, email address and U3A membership number.
- Your entry will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Copyright remains with the author but by entering you are agreeing to publication of your work in the August edition of the U3A magazine and on the website if you win.