Weekly Horizons Meetings are held on Thursday mornings in the Scout & Guide HQ, Long Lane, Aughton just next to Christ Church, 9:30 – 11:30am.
- learn about Aughton & Ormskirk U3A at the Welcome Desk (manned by a rota of friendly greeters)
- enjoy a free cup of a tea or coffee and biscuits
- chat to old friends and meet new ones
- meet some of the group leaders and coordinators
- make reservations for theatre and concert visits
- book dining dates, days out and holidays
- purchase tickets for social events such as the Christmas Lunch and Summer Social
- hear about the latest U3A news via announcements, flyers and posters on the Notice Board (as well as just by word-of-mouth, of course)
- browse and buy at the book table
- get advice and help with your digital camera and computer problems
- join the U3A at the Membership Desk
- pick up your quarterly U3A Magazine
- learn something new or useful from the occasional Guest Visitors
- enjoy a refreshing cuppa, prior to moving just a short distance next door to Christ Church for one of the monthly Speaker Meetings
Chairs and tables are set up before the start of Horizons thanks to the members of the Chair Rota. But please remember to clear away your chair and table at the end of Horizons if you possibly can.
There is a Welcome Desk Rota of helpful volunteers at Horizons waiting to answer your queries – especially useful if you are a new or a potential member wanting to know more about the U3A.
Here are some of the U3A members you may come across at Horizons. Click or tap on any pic to start the presentation.
Guest Visitors 2018
At specified Thursday Horizons Meetings there is the occasional Guest Visitor, arranged by Sue Watkinson. This typically is a representative of an organisation (usually local) providing information of relevance to the U3A membership.
Thursday 15 February
Our guest this month is a local charitable organisation called n-compass. If you think they could help you, or perhaps you could help them, then do come along and have a chat.
n-compass northwest is a charity that operates across Lancashire, Greater Manchester and the Wirral. n-compass wants to make a positive difference and enhance life opportunities for adults and young people disadvantaged by disability, physical & mental illness, age or social exclusion.
We provide a range of support and services through our different programmes, including Advocacy, Carers Support, Lancashire Well-being Service, and counselling support.
n-compass has a dedicated volunteering department. Volunteers are found at every level of our organisation and contribute significantly to n-compass and the community. We have a number of roles on offer, including:
- Helpline volunteer (work from home)
- Sitting-in Service volunteer
- Wellbeing worker
Thursday 15 March
Our Guest at Horizons is Sophie Yates, a Fund Raiser with Marie Curie. It’s a perfect month for this visit as the daffodil has for many years been the logo of the Society and we all hope our garden daffodils will be in bloom by then. Sophie will talk to members individually about the work of Marie Curie and their need for support. Do come along and have a chat.
Thursday 12 April
Abigail Ellis from Age UK will be our guest. She will speak to members individually about matters that concern them and the help that Age UK may be able to offer. Do come along and speak to her.
For a reminder of some past Guest Visitors, see Guest Visitors in 2017.