Weekly Horizons Meetings are held on Thursday mornings in the Scout & Guide HQ, Long Lane, Aughton just next to Christ Church, 9:30 – 11:30am.
At the Horizons Meetings you can:
- learn about Aughton & Ormskirk U3A at the Welcome Desk (manned by a rota of friendly greeters)
- enjoy a cup of a tea or coffee and biscuits
- chat to old friends and meet new ones
- meet some of the group leaders and coordinators
- make reservations for theatre and concert visits
- book dining dates, days out and holidays
- purchase tickets for social events such as the Christmas Lunch and Summer Social
- hear about the latest U3A news via announcements, flyers and posters on the Notice Board (as well as just by word-of-mouth, of course)
- browse and buy at the book table
- get advice and help with your digital camera and computer problems
- join the U3A at the Membership Desk
- pick up your quarterly U3A Magazine
- learn something new or useful from the occasional Guest Visitors
Here are some of the U3A members you may come across at Horizons. Click or tap on any pic to start the presentation.
A relatively new feature at Horizons on specified Thursdays is the occasional Guest Visitor, organised by the indefatigable Sue Watkinson. This typically is a representative of an organisation providing information of relevance (usually local) to the U3A membership.
April 27: Philip Walker, Manager of the West Lancs Dial-a-Ride organisation. If you missed the useful and interesting talk from Philip or didn’t manage to visit his stand at Horizons, then please refer to our website News Report on Dial a Ride.
June 1: Our Guest at Horizons on this date is Amanda Boult, from the Alzheimer’s Support Group. Do come and talk to her about anything that concerns you about friends, neighbours or your family during the Horizons meeting from 9.30 to 11.30 a.m. at the Scout & Guide HQ. This visit will be followed by a longer training session at a date to be arranged.
Members interested in this topic may also want to check out this information on Dementia Awarenes Week which takes place in May this year
July 20: Our guests at Horizons will be representatives of Home Start, a local charity that supports young parents and helps them to provide better lives for their children. Ruth Melling is one of our members and will be on hand to answer any questions about this important work. Come along and speak to her to find out more.
Watch this space for future Guest Visitors!
Some months, after a refreshing cuppa, you can move just a short distance next door to Christ Church to enjoy a U3A Speaker Meeting on a wide range of interesting and relevant topics.
Chairs and tables are set up before the start of Horizons thanks to the members of the Chair Rota. But please remember to clear away your chair and table at the end of Horizons if you possibly can.