There are many ways for members and non-members to communicate with Aughton and Ormskirk U3A and find out all about it.
Look out for Deadline Dates in the Magazine and on this website.
The Magazine is a glossy quarterly publication containing a variety of useful and interesting articles eg details of all the Groups, advance warning of Social Events, reviews and photos of recent happenings and much more. It is free to all who have paid their annual U3A subscription.
Members are encouraged to pick up their magazines at Horizons Meetings on the advertised dates. (This can help save postage expenses.) If that is not possible and you cannot arrange for someone else to pick it up for you, it will be delivered to your residence.
But see the latest Magazine (Vol 16, No 4, P3) for new distribution arrangements commencing in 2019.
Contact the Magazine Editor to send in items for the Magazine using the appropriate Web Form.
enews is an electronic newsletter emailed at the end of each month to all members who have provided an email address. It covers topics that have arisen since the previous Magazine was published and sometimes reminders of important U3A events, as well as changes and cancellations. More information provides further details on enews.
Some Group Leaders keep an email list in order to readily communicate with members of their own Group. This can be very useful for reminding people of the next meeting, late availability of places on outings, cancellations or changes to arrangements.
It is now possible for a Group Leader to request that U3A Members are assigned to their Group through the Beacon U3A Membership System and thence access and use a ready-made email list which can be used to contact their Group members. Use the appropriate Web Form to Contact the Membership Team to enquire how to achieve this. The Membership Team are also often available at their Desk during Horizons.
Horizons is a weekly coffee meeting which provides an excellent opportunity for face-to-face communication and booking for trips, performances and socials. U3A activities and events can also be advertised at Horizons as follows:
- Announcements are made during almost all Horizons meetings. These generally relate to:
- special events requiring extra publicity such as the Speaker Meetings, Days Out, Holidays, Social Events
- items not mentioned already in the Magazine or in the enews
- late changes to previously publicised information
- Flyers are sometimes put out on the tables at Horizons to give extra publicity to special events such as Speaker Meetings, Short Courses and Drama or Musical Theatre performances.
The U3A Website provides information both for potential members and existing members on the nature of the organisation and how it is run. It contains comprehensive details about its interest groups and activities. It is a major source for up-to-date information on all aspects of the U3A.
Also accessible via the Website are:
- the web forms – this useful feature enables anyone to send in questions and comments by filling in and submitting a simple form. See Contact page
- an online Calendar – U3A events can be included as entries on the Calendar. Occasionally information from other organisations is added.
Use the appropriate Web Form to Contact the Web Manager in order to send in information and changes for the website eg event publicity, Calendar items, News Posts, Page detail, Group updates etc. (Note that many Groups have Authors that can update their own pages which is a great way of making updates promptly and accurately.)