Here are the various ways to communicate within Aughton & Ormskirk U3A (and a couple that are public too viz website and Facebook)
Note that regrettably some of these methods of communication such as Horizons meetings and the usual Calendar are not available during the current social distancing measures due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The glossy Magazine, published three times a year, contains a variety of useful and interesting articles eg details of all the Groups, advance warning of Social Events, reviews and photos of recent happenings and much more. It is free to all who have paid their annual U3A subscription.
Members are encouraged to pick up their magazines at Horizons Meetings for themselves and friends who are U3A members on the advertised distribution dates, helping to save high postage expenses. Some Group Leaders collect magazines for their Group Members. Ask your Group Leader about this. Other magazines are picked up by volunteer members who deliver them to the homes of nearby members.
Contact the Magazine Editor to send in items for the Magazine using the appropriate Web Form. The Editor can also be contacted by email using:
Look out for the next Magazine Deadline and Publication Date in your most recent Magazine.
enews is an electronic newsletter emailed at the end of each month to all members who have provided an email address. It covers topics that have arisen since the previous Magazine was published and sometimes reminders of important U3A events, as well as changes and cancellations. More information provides further info on enews, including contact details.
Some Group Leaders keep an email list in order to readily communicate with members of their own Group. This can be very useful for reminding people of the next meeting, late availability of places on outings, cancellations or changes to arrangements and so on. But members keeping data about other members on their personal computers should be mindful of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) rulings relating to Data Privacy.
A way to avoid this issue would be to use Beacon to send out emails to the members of your Group, it is now possible for a Group Leader to request that U3A Members are assigned to their Group through the Beacon U3A Membership System and thence access and use a ready-made email list which can be used to contact their Group members.
There are various ways you can contact the Beacon Membership Team for advice on using Beacon:
- Use the appropriate Web Form to Contact the Membership Team.
- Talk to a Membership Team member at their Desk during Horizons.
- Email using: email@example.com
Horizons is a weekly coffee meeting which provides an excellent opportunity for face-to-face communication and booking for trips, performances and socials. U3A activities and events can also be advertised at Horizons as follows:
- Announcements are made during almost all Horizons meetings. These generally relate to:
- special events requiring extra publicity such as the Speaker Meetings, Days Out, Holidays, Social Events
- items not mentioned already in the Magazine or in the enews
- late changes to previously publicised information
- Flyers are sometimes put out on the tables at Horizons to give extra publicity to special events such as Speaker Meetings, Short Courses and Drama or Musical Theatre performances.
The Aughton & Ormskirk U3A Website provides information both for potential and existing members on the nature of the organisation and how it is run. It contains comprehensive details about its special interest groups and other activities. It is a major source for up-to-date information on all aspects of the U3A.
Also accessible via the Website are:
- the Web Forms – this useful feature enables anyone to send in questions and comments by filling in and submitting a simple form. See the Contact Us webpage
- an online Calendar – U3A events can be included as entries on the Calendar. Occasionally information from other organisations is added.
Use the appropriate Web Form to Contact the Web Manager in order to send in information and changes for the website eg event publicity, Calendar items, News Posts, Page detail, Group updates etc. to the Web Team. They can also be emailed at:
Look out for Deadline Dates and Publication Timings in your most recent U3A Magazine and in the Deadline Dates post on this website.