Speaker Meetings are held at 10.30 on specified Thursday mornings throughout the year in Christ Church, Aughton. Coffee is available in the Scout & Guide HQ next door from 09.30 to 10.15 before the meeting.
- 6 April: Richard Noble with ‘By the skin of your teeth’: Richard is a friend of Andrew Beeston, one of our long serving members. He has written a book about Old Testament quotations that are still in use today and will tell us about the origins of th
e expressions and how they have stood the test of time. Richard will bring copies of his book with him. Priced at £7, all profits go to the Restoration Appeal of St Mary’s in Buckden, the ‘A1 Church’. This Grade I Listed Building continues to provide journeyers on the A1 road with refreshment and sustenance for the body and soul.
- 4 May: Sankey Canal Restoration Trust. So near to us and so little known, the Sankey Valley provided the venue for one of our longer walking groups when members were fascinated at the work being done to restore the historic canal, the first industrial waterway in England. Peter Keen, Secretary to the Trust, will tell us stories about the history, decline and re-birth of the area.
- June: No meeting but don’t forget the AGM. Come along and take part, it’s your meeting.
You may also like to take a look at some Speaker Meetings from the past.
The Speaker Meeting Team
Message from the Speaker Meeting Team
- These meetings are open to the public. So do invite your friends even if they are not U3A members.
- Parking can be tricky on Thursday mornings. So, if you can, please consider car-sharing or alternative modes of transport. The handy half-hourly 310 Ormskirk – Liverpool bus stop very nearby on Holborn Hill. Some members ‘get active’ and walk, while a few even cycle now and then
The Speaker Meetings are recorded on DVD. DVDs can be obtained from Bill Evans at a cost of £3. Please ask if you wish to order one. Phone Bill on 01695 574652 or contact him at Horizons.