The Film Appreciation Group will be restarting on 23rd May at 9.45 for coffee followed by the film which is A Good Year based on the novel by Peter Mayle. See the website Group Page for further details.
It is a good film which will take place in the big room. The charge is £2.00.Colin and I look forward to seeing you.
Regards Pat Morton (Group Leader)
Member, Julia Bate is Coordinator for the Health & Wellbeing Group which provides occasional talks on relevant topics for members to attend.
Additionally, Julia herself attends and reports back on regular meetings with the Patient Safety and the Patient and Public Involvement Groups attached to the North West Coast NHS Innovation Agency. Interesting and comprehensive reports from these meetings are listed below. These meetings continue to be either face-to-face or via video-conferencing.
For further information, email Julia on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- June meeting – Music therapy, Genomic medicine, Endoscopy alternative, Medication review and Self-monitoring of blood pressure
- May Meeting – self-referral to consultants using an App; spotting patients with severe asthma
- April Meeting – Update on alcohol withdrawal project; Cardiac Network and Websites helping with management and prevention of heart disease; Blood pressure testing in barbers’ shops
- March meeting – Update on Back Pain Management App; Chatbot with Mental Health Advice; Patient Safety (Opioid withdrawal and Medication review)
- February meeting – Pillow with a hole; Back pain management App; Menopause Consultancy
- January meeting – Influenza; Mental Health safety; Lipid management
- December meeting – re-usable medical grade PPE; diabetic socks
- November meeting – ‘Biodose’ smart medication dosage tray; diabetic socks
- October meeting – Celsium wearable thermometer; Alcohol related brain injury; loneliness aid
- September meeting – ‘Drivernet’ transport system; ‘Tiny Medical Apps’ eg for asthma management
- August meeting
- July meeting
- June meeting
- May meeting
- April meeting
- March meeting
- February meeting
There are still a few tickets available for Saturday 14th May for “Old Boilers” followed by “End of the Pier Show” at Aughton Village Hall.
This is the latest production brought to you by the Drama Group for your entertainment!
Tickets are priced at £8.50 and are available at Horizons or by telephoning 01695 227503 or 01695 578207.
Supper is not included so don’t forget to bring along your own drinks, glasses and nibbles etc.
We look forward to seeing you.
Our present Choir Group musical director, Paul Dickie has successfully led us for the past 18 months and in spite of the challenges of covid we organised and performed the u3a advent service under his direction. However, to secure continuity for the future we would like to bring in someone else with the necessary musical knowledge and creative skills to assist Paul, help take the choir forward and build on our success.
We are a very friendly, sociable group with 30 members and like to sing a wide range of music including; Musical Theatre, Folk, Sacred and Popular. We enjoy the challenge of three part singing as well as a good unison sing-a-long at most of our sessions.
We give one formal concert a year in the summer and organise the annual U3A Advent service. We are also regularly invited to sing at several local nursing homes.
We meet every Wednesday morning at Aughton Village Hall from 10 am until 12. (Broadly following school holidays). We have a well organised team who take care of admin, finances and hall bookings.
If you are interested in finding out more then please contact choir leader Ann Henders 07847 364330.
Please note there is no remuneration for this role.
Southport u3a are creating a Show Garden at this year’s Southport Flower Show (18 -21 August). It will be built and managed by their Gardening Group to celebrate the u3a’s 40th Anniversary. It is the aim to include many aspects of the diverse nature of the u3a as features in the design.
Alongside the Show Garden will be a u3a Stand enabling the promotion of the u3a in general and to talk to existing and prospective members. Southport u3a’s “Performing Groups” will also be playing on the Music Stand at times throughout the Show.
In recognition of this support for the Flower Show, ALL u3a members will be able to book tickets for the show at a specially discounted rate of £18, compared to the gate price of £27 using the promotional code, ‘u3a’ when buying tickets on the website Southport Flower Show.
…… to all our readers,
from the Web Team
Local History outdoor visits restarted on 30th April 2022. Further Information on the Local History Group Page and from the Local History Desk at Horizons.
All members are welcome to our outdoor visits and our indoor meetings.
Margaret Gibbon (Group Leader)
Last Updated on May 17, 2020