Since entering social isolation started early last year, we have covered the times and seasons in various website ‘galleries’ filling them with items sent in by our talented members.
The first lockdown started in March 2020, so we missed late Winter and early Spring. This new Gallery, on the theme of ‘Signs of Spring’ aims to fill that gap. We hope too that it will give members cheer that warmer and brighter weather is on its way, new life is returning to the world and there is renewed hope for a safer and more carefree future.
Many, many thanks to all contributors so far. Scroll down the Page to see the latest sections. This Gallery Page is work-in-progress. If you have snapped any other ‘Signs of Spring’ in your garden or on your walks in February or March, please do send them to us at email@example.com. As well as flowers, bushes and trees, we particularly welcome relevant images pics of birds, bees, butterflies and other insects, new life in farm or field such as lambs, and country and garden wildlife awakening from winter slumbers.
Moving Forward into Spring
(Click on any picture to move through the slideshow.)
* Note – According to Wikipedia, the Green Man is a “legendary being primarily interpreted as a symbol of rebirth, representing the cycle of new growth that occurs every spring.”
Many of the first photos sent in were of snowdrops. So here is a poem from our resident poet, Judy. Although written a few years ago, it is particularly pertinent to 2021.
Leading us into a warmer direction
Taking us forward away from the snow
Away from the wind and the cold that will go.
As we see Spring colours starting to brighten
And the days grow longer in order to lighten
Projecting the warmth that will help us to cope
We will all move forward into seasons of hope.
Judy Ingman, Jan. 2018.
Early Spring Bulbs and Flowers
Early Buds and Greenery
After the Snowdrops
Colouring the Street
Victoria Park, St Helens Road, Ormskirk
All of these flowers were on display in mid April, making an oasis of colour between two major roads in the town.
Previous Lockdown Galleries
To refresh your memory of the lovely and interesting 2020 Galleries, do revisit:
- West Lancs in Bloom – galleries set up following a request, early on in the first lockdown, to members for photos taken when pottering in the garden or out on their daily walk.
- Gardening Group Gallery – a cornucopia of beautiful summer blooms.
- West Lancs in Autumn – gallery of great photos (plus a poem) with a seasonal theme.
- Christmas Card Gallery – a seasonal webpage contains a miscellany of festive contributions sent in by our talented members. It started off as photos of cards designed by members to convey greetings within our u3a, then expanded to include crafts, a poem and short stories.